Sunday, November 20, 2005

Detective Story: Session # 2

Session # 2: A rainy night

I stepped out of the apartment onto the street. I was greeted by a hazy fog, the mumbled city noise, a heavy rain, and one of those depressing days of the year. The rain fell, and it poured hard. The fog was moderately thick. I put on my trench coat and bundled up.
I spotted my magnum on the concrete sidewalk and picked up it from the ground. Cadnium was nowhere in sight. Lost him... again.
I lowered my hat and began my walk home. It was a cold night... one of those nights where you think about your life and time passes slowly. Yeah, I was a heavy thinker.

I could see my breath as I walked through the streets. The city was alive tonight, but cars were scarce. I could see the spirit of the 20s all around me.
The P.I. business was slow, and having business rivals didn't help at all. I was having a hard enough time making a living for myself.

I arrived at my "office" as I called it, a short time later. A long while back, I rented out an apartment where I currently lived, and I had my clients come there too. I stepped off the wet and murky streets and came up to the apartment entrance. I stamped my feet on the floor mat and swiped the rain off from my hat. I eagearly opened the door and entered the warm building, waiting to get out of the rain.

I trampled up the stairs, a tired an old man. I finally made it to the second floor and entered my little "home." I entered the room and shut the door behind me, greeted inside by my cat. He put a smile on my face for the first time in a while. He was light orange, with some white on him. He would rub against my legs every time I got home.
I looked down at him. "You must be hungry huh?"
If I was lucky, he respond with a purr or a simple, "meow."

I threw my coat on the table and slumped down into the couch. My messy apartment was... well, really, a mess. It was a small one bedroom, with a living room and a small kitchen. The living room was populated with a busted up couch, an old table, and there was a painting or two on the walls. I had a desk somewhere, where I would file all my paperwork, but it seemed to disappear after months of amateur cases.

I was tired... I looked out the window and found more rain. Yeah... It was just one of those lazy days.

I went to the kitchen and got a bite for myself and Max.
I knew it was time to call it a night. I layed down on my couch, too tired to go to my bedroom, and got myself comfortable. I had a long day, and my life wasn't looking too well. I sighed and tried not to think about it much; I knew I needed some sleep.
I closed my eyes and started to dream...

It was just one of those days.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11/22/2005 11:09 PM, Blogger endeavor said...

I love your descriptions.

But I got some questions:
Is Tom an old man?
Who is Max? I assume it is the kitty.

 
At 11/23/2005 9:18 AM, Blogger ifedajay said...

Yeah, seriously, I was like, he's not really an "old man" right? I thought that you were using a metaphor/simile.

Oh, yeah and I liked: "It was a cold night... one of those nights where you think about your life and time passes slowly. Yeah, I was a heavy thinker."

 
At 11/23/2005 1:43 PM, Blogger TheJBurger said...

Yes, Max is the kitty. And by the "old man going up the stairs" thing, I meant that he went up the stairs like an old man.

No Tom's not an old man. I imagine him to be around 25-35 years old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home